Saturday, May 12, 2007

Names Make All the Difference


These flowers are right by the intersection of Palos Verdes Drive East and Palos Verdes Drive North, right before what old bards used to call “the really stupid part, where the road climbs relentlessly for a thousand miles of tortuous curves.” After taking this picture, I didn’t take my feet from the pedals until I was at the top of the hill.

These flowers are part of the George F. Canyon Nature Park and Preserve. I used to wonder who George F. was and why they named a canyon park for him without including his last name. (Do all the trails have twelve steps?)

I got passed today going up this hill. I believe that’s the first time I’ve been passed on that stretch of road. It’s not that I pedal so fast: I don’t. It’s just that not many riders choose this climb for recreation. I do see a lot of bikes coming down it, though.


The payoff is the vista (and the downhill) on the other side. As you can see, we still don’t have Catalina Island back.

Kind of a murky day for a Saturday, with lots of haze still lingering from all the fires this week. The haze was mostly white, but still with a yellowish tint.


On Palos Verdes Peninsula, they have a word for people who don’t drive cars.


It’s not a nice word.

No comments: