Sunday, December 28, 2008

Mr. Foley

Does anyone ever listen to Harold Faltermayer anymore?

This end of the axle gets attached to the wheel (in this case, the wheel on the driver’s side of the car).

The bolts that stick out from the axle are used to attach the wheel.

This is the bearing race. As the axle spins (and the wheel on the car goes around and around), small round bearings in this groove roll around the axle so it doesn’t rub against the part of the car that holds it.

(Notice in this picture that the bearing race is pitted, which means things weren’t rolling as smoothly as they should.)

The splines at this end of the axle mesh with the gears in the differential, where the axle meets the drive shaft. The drive shaft comes down from the engine (at the front end of the car) and brings the torque that makes the wheels go around. As the drive shaft spins, the gear at the end of it makes the axle spin, and the car goes forward.

2 comments:

Papa Bradstein said...

Sweet! We'll enjoy looking at those as soon as I get home to show them to 3B.

BTW, that is the cleanest and nicest police car I've ever been in in my life. That thing's nicer than my apartment.

Kangamoo said...

You can show 3B how things fit together with the pictures I sent you of my husband's truck.

I am glad you left out the @#$%!!&^ at the end of that sentence. Or maybe it was after the next line. All I know is there was a lot of that in the dialog of that movie.