Sunday, March 27, 2011

1945 Road Trip VI


These notes were in an unmarked manila folder at Mom’s house, with no further explanation, nor any sign of any further correspondence from the trip. If I were a gambling man, I’d bet Mom had preserved them from her mother’s files back when Mom and her brothers spent a couple of years clearing out Grandmother’s house, much as my siblings and I are sifting through Mom’s, trying to sort the clutter from the keepsakes.

I have no idea why Dick enclosed the torn-off classified ad in this envelope, unless it was to show that he had received a packet of newspapers from California.


Envelope postmarked Kincardine, Ontario, July 18, 1945, 4¢ Canada stamp on an unmarked envelope.

Addressed to The De Witt’s, 3482 Knollcrest Ave, Los Angeles 43, Calif., U.S.A.

Tuesday, July 16, ’45
On the farm

Dear Mom & Dad & Doug

Well, this is going to be a short letter as I have about ten minutes in which to write. Yesterday we chopped & cut wood all afternoon. It was all elm. It rained a lot again Sunday and thus made things pretty wet.

We turned part of a field of hay over to dry last night and I am going out now to help load it and bring it in.

Dad, do you need any Gillette razor blades? They have plenty of Canadian Gillette razor blades up here and they sell 5 for 25¢ same as down there. If you want me to, I’ll get some. Let me know. The[y] have lots of things up here that are scarce in the States. Yesterday I bought a box of Wrigleys gum. It is a cinnamon-flavored gum and is pretty good. When I get back in the States, I’ll mail it home.

How is Bill? I hope everyone is all right.

Dick.

Dick DeWitt
℅ Bill Ferguson
R.R. #1 Kincardine
Ontario,
Canada

1 comment:

Papa Bradstein said...

Glad you found these as much fun as I did.