Thursday, March 15, 2007

Filet of Sole


An early casualty of Sunday’s surveying expedition. Before we hiked across the lakebed pounding stakes, before we set out across three dry washes to find a far corner, I got out of the truck and found I had left behind my sole.

That doesn’t mean the work was what Shakespeare called “bootless labour.” The cloth bottom on the upper held together even on our mile-and-a-half tromp across rock, gravel, and gopher holes. I had, let’s say, a heightened sensitivity to rocks and pebbles underfoot. But it was still better protection than walking barefoot.

I’ve never been a big fan of hiking boots. I know they give me better ankle support. I’d have to go back and look at the tapes to be sure, but I think I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back about ten years ago in regular street sneakers. I think it was after that that Mom dragged me into an outlet store for hiking gear and made me try these on.

In a pinch, in the future, I’ve still got my steel-toe work boots if I need something with ankle support. That’s extra weight if you’re hiking, but better than hobbling miles back to your car on a twisted ankle.

Still, when it comes to footwear, I’m a minimalist.

1 comment:

CaliforniaGirl said...

Did you leave the duct tape home? I thought it would repair anything.