Friday, June 13, 2008

The Feeling Begins

Tonight marked the commencement of the commencement season. We fĂȘted two family graduates (and a couple of others) with a backyard barbecue, then headed over to see the decorations that are going up for Grad Night, which happens tomorrow after the ceremonies.

I will not be present for the handing out of diplomas, because I will already be on the road toward the next commencement, which will take place a few latitude notches further north.



The Grad Night theme this year is Harry Potter, a multivolume tale describing the education of a hirsute ceramicist. Apparently the train here comes in to Platform 9 3/4, something like the elevator that stops at Floor 7 1/2 in Being John Malkovich. After the train ride comes a voyage across water that marks a kind of transformation, a good motif that crops up everywhere from the Odyssey to Exodus to Huckleberry Finn.

The water, in this case, has pedal boats in it, and it was put here just for the occasion: The high school doesn’t normally have a pond on the premises.


Tomorrow I hit the highway. More pictures if I have any, and if I have energy when I land.

1 comment:

CaliforniaGirl said...

Congratulations to all. The party looks like lots more fun than they were when I graduated.

Have a safe trip, and see you soon.