Saturday, December 22, 2007

Expose Yourself

Leave a device to its own devices, and you won’t always love the results. Above is a picture of the moon, taken early this evening (sky still blue). The camera tried, as cameras will, to make the entire frame average out to about the brightness of a typical sunny day. As a result, the moon was seriously overexposed.

So I changed the camera settings and forced it to take a faster shot. When I got to about 1/800 second, the exposure looked right. On the tiny camera screen, I didn’t notice that the moon was not in focus.

Finally got it about right later tonight. 1/800 second, focus set to infinity.

You can’t always trust machines to make your decisions for you. But I do usually let iTunes choose what song I’m going to hear next.

1 comment:

Kangamoo said...

Were you singing when you took those. The moon might stay in focus better if you do!!

I see the moon and the moon sees me