Tuesday, July 29, 2008

White Lightning Strikes Twice

This White Lightning rose is another one that was knocked for a loop when my home was covered with a tent and filled with Vikane gas to kill termites.

The White Lightning tends to flower in bunches. When I’m maintaining it responsibly, if I clip out the center rose from each bunch, the others are supposed to come in stronger. Generally I’ve found it stays ahead of the pruning shears, and its blooms have never been weak enough for me to worry about making them more full.

It snapped back pretty quickly after the tenting.

These bunches are usually pretty in a wide-mouthed vase. The solo red Mr. Lincoln roses grow on much longer stems. (They make tricky gifts, though: Mr. Lincoln is a prickly traditionalist when it comes to thorns.)

No comments: